shared from and with BibleTexts.com users
Q&A #128 - Revelation and The Seventh Sign
by Robert Nguyen Cramer
This BibleTexts website administrator has very much enjoyed questions and insights that have been emailed to him ever since this site was launched in September of 1996. On this page I share with BibleTexts browsers a few of the questions, insights, and responses, so that we all can further learn from and with each other.
I recall watching a movie starring Demi Moore called The Seventh Sign or something like that, and in it they make reference to martyrs and a number. I am having trouble finding anything in my Bible in that regard and was wondering if you could help.
A brief description to help help answer your questions about the movie, which reportedly was based on the book of Revelation, can be found at http://www.wartburg.edu/religion/fredos/Seventh_Sign.html.
One needs to be aware that interpretations of the book of Revelation vary widely. Many are not based upon a genuine understanding of the intent of the original author to the originally intended readers in the original cultural and historical setting. I would strongly recommend your consulting the following:
(1) Bible dictionary descriptions of Revelation at http://www.bibletexts.com/glossary/rev.htm.
(2) Bible dictionary descriptions of "martyr" at http://www.bibletexts.com/glossary/martyr.htm.
(3) BibleTexts.com commentary on Revelation at http://www.bibletexts.com/verses/v-rev.htm.
(4) Breaking the Code: Understanding the Book of Revelation (book and VCR tape) by Bruce M. Metzger (Nashville, TN: Abingdon, 1993). This book and the accompanying video tape provide an an excellent introduction to really understanding Revelation as it was understood by the Christians to which it was originally written, without the dangerous interpretations of some modern day millenialists.
(5) Listing of other commentaries on Revelation at http://www.bibletexts.com/bibliogr/06com-nt.htm#rev.
(6) BibleTexts.com exploration of some early Christian martyrs at http://www.bibletexts.com/topical.htm#martyr.
(7) The Oxford Bible Commentary, edited by John Barton and John Muddiman (New York: Oxford University Press, 2001), article on "Revelation," by Richard Bauchkham, pages 1287 to 1306.
(8) Oxford Companion to the Bible - edited by Bruce M. Metzger and Michael D. Coogan (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1993), article on "Revelation," by John Sweet, pages 649 to 655.
Copyright 1996-2004 Robert Nguyen Cramer